Friday, March 10, 2006

Thank you Colleen...

After reading a friend's post, about driving down the MA Pike and seeing an empty, white billboard, I started to think about "blankness" too...my students faces as I ask them a specific question from the reading they did not do, the empty page before I begin to worry that writer's block has permanently taken up space and is now paying rent in my mind, the generation who is now being raised on reality televsion and Xbox...the lack of original thought in our society. And it isn't until I see the smile on my daughter's face as she picks up Good Night Moon for the thousandth time, when I simply turn the pages and read from memory. I will not allow her the blissful ignorance of being "blank."

1 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger Idiot Cook said...

"...the empty page before I begin to worry that writer's block has permanently taken up space and is now paying rent in my mind..."

LOVE that line.

And I love the description of what you felt when your daughter smiled and picked up the book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home